Will an IRS determination of worker classification that differs from my contract nullify the contract with staffing co?

Asked 7 months ago - Cedar Rapids, IA

My contract says I'm an indie contractor but I've been told I'm most likely an employee. I'm involved in a payment dispute that's headed for a court room. Having filed Form SS-8 with the IRS if the IRS determines I am in fact a contractor will that by any chance nullify the contract with staffing co?

1. Thomas O. Moens

Answered . It depends on the terms of the contract. You should consult with an employment law attorney, especially considering that you are "headed for a court room."

2. Christopher S. Wendland

Answered . Probably not, but you should have an attorney review the contract. The IRS classifies workers for tax reasons, not contract reasons. The IRS isn't a court, so it doesn't determine the legal relationship between parties except to the extent that it affects tax matters.

3. Erik S. Fisk

Answered . Not likely. As with your other question, you really ahould speak to an employment attorney.