Will an infraction affect my Fi student visa and job?

Asked over 1 year ago - San Jose, CA

I have an infraction - evasion of fare ( April, 2012), and I an an international student. I was stopped by a VTA officer because of forgetting my Student ID ( light rails and buses are free to students with an ID). She gave me a ticket with my fingerprint on it, because I do not have any ID with me. I did not go to the police station. The ticket says that I can choose to pay the fine or go to the court. I paid the fine after receiving the summon. I am leaving the US in May and will come back in June. I am wondering if this infraction will cause any problem when I apply for my F1 student visa again and find a job in the US?

1. Alexander Joseph Segal

3

Answered . No, but do not do that anymore.

2. J. Thomas Smith Ph.D.

Pro

2

Answered . The "fare evasion" violation appears to be a civil, rather than criminal, matter. It is similar to a parking ticket. The penalty is limited to an administrative fee, rather than jail time or community service. As such, it shouldn't have have immigration consequences. You should consult with a California immigration lawyer about the specifics of your case.

3. Tripti Sharad Sharma

Pro

Answered . It is unlikely to affect the visa application. However if questioned on the incident, be truthful when answering about it.