Will an infraction affect my Fi student visa and job?

Asked over 1 year ago - San Jose, CA

I have an infraction - evasion of fare ( April, 2012), and I an an international student. I was stopped by a VTA officer because of forgetting my Student ID ( light rails and buses are free to students with an ID). She gave me a ticket with my fingerprint on it, because I do not have any ID with me. I did not go to the police station. The ticket says that I can choose to pay the fine or go to the court. I paid the fine after receiving the summon. I am leaving the US in May and will come back in June. I am wondering if this infraction will cause any problem when I apply for my F1 student visa again and find a job in the US?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Alexander Joseph Segal

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . No, but do not do that anymore.

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS www.myattorneyusa.com; email: info@myattorneyusa.com; Phone: (866)... more
  2. J. Thomas Smith Ph.D.


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The "fare evasion" violation appears to be a civil, rather than criminal, matter. It is similar to a parking ticket. The penalty is limited to an administrative fee, rather than jail time or community service. As such, it shouldn't have have immigration consequences. You should consult with a California immigration lawyer about the specifics of your case.

    Law Offices of J Thomas Smith J.D., Ph.D 11500 Northwest Freeway, Suite 280 Houston, TX 77092 713-LAWYER-2 www.... more
  3. Tripti Sharad Sharma

    Contributor Level 19

    Answered . It is unlikely to affect the visa application. However if questioned on the incident, be truthful when answering about it.

    This response is general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known.... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,027 answers this week

2,782 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,027 answers this week

2,782 attorneys answering