Will an infraction affect my Fi student visa and job?

San Jose, CA |

I have an infraction - evasion of fare ( April, 2012), and I an an international student. I was stopped by a VTA officer because of forgetting my Student ID ( light rails and buses are free to students with an ID). She gave me a ticket with my fingerprint on it, because I do not have any ID with me. I did not go to the police station. The ticket says that I can choose to pay the fine or go to the court. I paid the fine after receiving the summon. I am leaving the US in May and will come back in June. I am wondering if this infraction will cause any problem when I apply for my F1 student visa again and find a job in the US?

The "fare evasion" violation appears to be a civil, rather than criminal, matter. It is similar to a parking ticket. The penalty is limited to an administrative fee, rather than jail time or community service. As such, it shouldn't have have immigration consequences. You should consult with a California immigration lawyer about the specifics of your case.

Law Offices of J Thomas Smith J.D., Ph.D 11500 Northwest Freeway, Suite 280 Houston, TX 77092 713-LAWYER-2 NOTE: Responses are for the education of the community at large and is not intended to be "legal advice." No attorney-client relationship is established by responses or comments.

No, but do not do that anymore.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

It is unlikely to affect the visa application. However if questioned on the incident, be truthful when answering about it.

This response is general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. Any comments offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship. If you would like additional information based on this response, please contact my office at 510 657 7665 or 415 902 0832 to schedule a consultation.

Traffic tickets topics

Recommended articles about Traffic tickets