Will an indictment by a federal grand jury show on a criminal background check if it was dismissed?

Orange City, FL |
Filed under: Federal crime

I was indicted by federal grand jury in 1997. The indictment was dismissed without prejudice in 1998. It has never shown up on employment criminal background checks, but they are always state background checks. I want to apply for a county government job, but I am worried they may pull federal background checks.
-Will it show on my record?
-If so, can I get it sealed or expunged?
-Can I get a copy of my own federal criminal record?

1. Yes, it will show on your record, no you cannot get an expungement in federal proceedings and yes you can get a copy of your federal record by following the instructions on this site: http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/nics/general-information/cgbrochure.

2. It will show you were charged and the case was dismissed. Be prepared to explai it to your future employer.

My response to your question is a generic response and should not be construed as controlling to your case. I can not effectively advise about your case without knowing all the facts. Additionally, my response does not create an attorney-client relationship. You can contact my office to schedule an appointment if you would like to have me represent you.

3. Federal records cannot be expunged. The fact that you were charged AND that it was dismissed will be available on a background check.

Federal crime topics