Will an incident which had occurred while I was a minor, without any conviction or arrest, show up in a background check?

Asked almost 2 years ago - San Jose, CA

1. The incident occurred when I was a minor.
2. I do not believe I was arrested; there were never any handcuffs or riding in a patrol car. No one restrained me.
3. I do not believe I was convicted, or even charged - at least, I never went to court or jail. I never spoke to a judge.
3. But I did receive a letter telling me to take a class. It was just a 1 day 6-hour class. You had to "pass" the class, though it wasn't hard. This should prove there was some record; this is what concerns me. Otherwise why would they send me a letter telling me to do something?
4. So for peace of mind, I requested my record sealed in Summer 2012 (last summer). I do not know if they successfully sealed it; how do I check?
5. A different previous employment background check one year ago yielded nothing.

Additional information

The above 6 points are to the best of my knowledge. There may be legal definitions of arrest or conviction that I do not know. All I know is that I never went to jail, never went to court, yet still received a letter requiring me to take a class. Since a few months after the incident occurred, I have never heard about it again (except me personally going to seal my record). In addition to the main question, what does this sound like? "Charges dropped?", "Case dismissed?", "Case never prosecuted?" I have no idea.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Christine C McCall


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Order your CA Dept of Justice Live Scan criminal record (use Google for a listing of outlets everywhere in the State). There is no need to guess whether any record is being reported when you can quickly, cheaply and easily obtain a copy of your record.

    My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice.... more
  2. Seth Andrew Weinstein

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Likely this will never show on background check, unless it is run by law enforcement. You can go to Juvenile Court in your County to view your record.

    Seth Weinstein, Esq.
    Practicing throughout Southern California
    (310) 707-7131

    This reply should NOT be considered a legal opinion of your case / inquiry. At this time I do not have sufficient... more
  3. Michael Carter Lukehart


    Contributor Level 13

    Answered . Probably not, but read the other answers.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,833 answers this week

3,245 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,833 answers this week

3,245 attorneys answering