Will an expunged charge affect a future job?

Asked over 1 year ago - Philadelphia, PA

I am going to school for accounting but two years ago I was charged with theft. It was expunged but can any companies I will be applying too be able to find it? I look my name up on google and can still see it. Is it legal for them to see it on the internet but not on my record and not offer me a job or if the see it after, fire me? Thanks.

1. William A. Jones Jr.

Pro

7

1

Answered . The Internet is a problem for a lot of people in your circumstance. Expunging the official records pertaining to your case is having progressively less benefit. You need to make sure all of your answers are truthful and consistent with what happened with your theft case. There are steps that can be taken to clean up you Internet reputation, but if an employer finds something on the Internet or with the assistance of a background check that is at odds with any answer you have provided you likely will not get the job or lose it if it is found after you start working. You might try posting to the Practice Area "Internet" where it will be seen by lawyers more familiar with this phenomenon and what steps can be taken. Good luck.

2. Stewart C Crawford Jr.

7

Answered . If it was expunged, it is no longer part of your criminal record. Keep in mind, that a number of state agencies maintain records, be sure that your expungement properly notified all interested agencies. The fact that evidence of the former charges appear on the internet is likely not capable of being controlled. Although some prospective employers surf the internet and social media sites, the majority rely upon established criminal record searches, not google. If your record appear on one of those searches, then something wasn’t addressed correctly in the expungement process.
    Stew Crawford, Jr., Esq.

Crawford Law Firm
    A Full Service Law Firm Serving New Jersey & Pennsylvania

223 North Monroe Street
    Media, Pennsylvania 19063 (Philadelphia Area)
    1-877-992-6311
    www.crawfordlaw.org

E-Mail: crime@subrolaw.us

3. Robert C. Keller

6

Answered . All of my colleagues have it right. When a person is charged with a crime, the news media may publish an article about the case which easily circulates through the Internet. The problem is that an expungement can only purge all the criminal records but not information posted on the social media.

4. Ellis B. Klein

Pro

5

Answered . Expungement takes care of the official records. What you cannot expunge is the internet. If you found it an employer certainly can find it too.

5. Matthew Michael McClenahen

Pro

4

Answered . Although your record may be expunged from official sources, such as the PA State Police Central Repository of Criminal Records, private data mining companies may still maintain your record, because they never would have received a copy of the expungement order. Also, newspapers or other website may still have information about your conviction online.
    Yes, an employer could deny you employment based upon a prior offense, which was ultimately expunged.