Will an affidavit of heirship suffice to transfer ownership of a home of deceased parent if no one else can contest it?

Indianapolis, IN |

My mother died and left a home as her primary asset. She was never married and I am her only child. Will an affidavit of heirship properly transfer her assets to me? I submitted a quit claim deed and was told this was not enough.

Your question can best be answered by contacting a local title insurance company. The title insurance company will advise you as to whether an Affidavit of Heirship will work. The title insurance company can also review the Quit Claim Deed and tell you why it was not enough.

You may have to probate your mother's home. If so, contact your local bar association or a member of the Trust Department at your local bank for a reference for a good probate attorney in your area.

Wills and estates topics