Will an affidavit of heirship suffice to transfer ownership of a home of deceased parent if no one else can contest it?

Asked over 5 years ago - Indianapolis, IN

My mother died and left a home as her primary asset. She was never married and I am her only child. Will an affidavit of heirship properly transfer her assets to me? I submitted a quit claim deed and was told this was not enough.

Attorney answers (1)

  1. George M. Smrtka

    Contributor Level 8

    Answered . Your question can best be answered by contacting a local title insurance company. The title insurance company will advise you as to whether an Affidavit of Heirship will work. The title insurance company can also review the Quit Claim Deed and tell you why it was not enough.

    You may have to probate your mother's home. If so, contact your local bar association or a member of the Trust Department at your local bank for a reference for a good probate attorney in your area.

    Good luck.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,781 answers this week

2,893 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,781 answers this week

2,893 attorneys answering