Will a Washington Judge grant a divorce is we agree on property division in Mexico?

Asked 5 months ago - Seattle, WA

My wife and I have agreed to a divorce after 24 years of marriage. We are both resident's of Washington state more than 10 years.

We have mutually agreed to divide our property in Mexico but would both prefer to have it included in our Washington divorce. Can Washington courts sign off on that agreement??

1. Andrew Y. Kim

3

Answered . Yes, the court in Washington will most likely sign off on the final agreed divorce decree including the division of property in Mexico. You should note however that the Washington court does not have jurisdiction over property in another country or another state for that matter. And Mexico will not automatically recognize a court order from this state. The only way to ensure that the property in Mexico is legally owned by the party awarded the property as part of the Washington divorce decree, is to complete whatever legal documents are required in Mexico to transfer ownership.

2. Richard Paul Patrick

Answered . Yes. The property belongs to you guys and it is appropriate for it to be detailed in your decree of dissolution.

This is not legal advice.