Skip to main content

Will a verbal agreement with child support stand up in court

Ocala, FL |

i have two childs with the mother of my kids.i would like to know if a verbal agreement with child support will stand up in court.i tried to get her to sign something years ago,but she would not sign it.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


Typically, courts will hold that any "support" given from one parent to the other parent, so long as it is not court ordered, is a "gift" to that parent. That is why it is so critical for you to have the support ordered through a Paternity Action or the Department of Revenue (so you can get credit for payments). If you have a verbal agreement for support and you have both been complying with this then you can make the argument to the court that that should be taken into consideration against any arrears you might owe. You can show this by bank statements, deposit slips etc. If you have not done so already, you need to register with the Florida Putative Father's Registry ASAP.

Contact The Divorce Center for a FREE 1/2 hour consultation at 800-469-3486.

Child support topics

Recommended articles about Child support

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer