Will a suspended license show up on a fingerprint background check?

San Jose, CA |

I recently found out, to my surprise, that my license is suspended due to a traffic ticket that I thought was a warning and never heard from the court. I went to rent a car and found out it is suspended. Now I have a job offer and they want me to get fingerprinted. I am in the process of paying the fines but have another 5 payments to go. Will this show up and cost my my job as well?

1. You thought it was a warning? You have to be kidding me. I advise you not to tell any whoppers like that to your potential employer. Yes your suspended license conviction will show up on a background check. Will it keep you from getting a job? Only the car rental agency can tell you.

2. One's background is vague. There generally isn't one single database. In CA the DMV keeps a driving record (called an H6), the Department of Justice keeps records of all criminal convictions, as do all county courts. However, you weren't convicted of a crime, your license was suspended. You weren't charged or convicted of driving on a suspended license.

In a nutshell, you're fine. Just get the suspension cleared up as many employers need you to have a license. Also keep making payments on the ticket. Even if you did have a conviction for driving on a suspended license, it's hard to imagine that disqualifying you from a job.