Skip to main content

Will a notarized written letter suffice or will I have to get a power of attorney for my mom to take my kids to the doctor?

Poplar Bluff, MO |

I live in California and I want to let my kids stay with my parents (their grandparents) in Missouri for the summer. If my kids get sick and need to go to the doctor my parents will have to take them. Will a notarized written letter suffice or will I have to get a power of attorney for my mom to take my kids to the doctor for the summer?

Attorney Answers 3


power of attorney

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


In Michigan, we use a POA for this purpose. Your CA mileage may vary, however. I would suggest that you re-post your summary using a CA location, in order to get responses from CA attorneys. Unless they subscribe to national posts, which many attorneys do not, your summary would not otherwise be seen by someone licensed in CA.

James Frederick

***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ***************************************** LEGAL DISCLAIMER I am licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan and have offices in Wayne and Ingham Counties. My practice is focused in the areas of estate planning and probate administration. I am ethically required to state that the above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses should be considered general legal education and are intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in your state. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. If I refer to your state's laws, you should not rely on what I say; I just did a quick Internet search and found something that looked relevant that I hoped you would find helpful. You should verify and confirm any information provided with an attorney licensed in your state. I hope you our answer helpful!

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


Counsel are correct, at least when it comes to Connecticut. As noted by Attorney Frederick, you will wish to review this matter with California counsel. Good luck to you.

This information is presented as a public service. It should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor considered to be the formation of a lawyer/client relationship. I am licensed in Connecticut and New York and my answers are based upon the law in those jurisdictions. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if I were to review a client's file and have the opportunity to interview the client. Accordingly, I strongly urge you to retain an attorney in your jurisdiction with respect to any legal matter.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Wills and estates topics

Recommended articles about Wills and estates

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics