Will a misdemeanor bench warrant show up on a MI state police criminal background check

Lansing, MI |
Filed under: Criminal defense

my temp agency is running a MI state police background check. i have a misdemeanor bench warrant and was wondering if that will show up or just convictions

Yes, a bench warrant (assuming it was entered in the LEIN) will show up on a background check. You should hire an attorney and have the attorney set a date/time for you to turn yourself in and get this taken care of asap.

No. A bench/arrest warrant will not show up on a background check. The LEIN network the other attorney refers to stands for Law Enforcement Information Network. It's only available to courts and law enforcement, hence it's name. A background check only shows public information. The State Police will only share public information in a background check given to prospective employers, temp agencies, etc. It's called an ICHAT file. Warrant information is not made public as it can be a safety concern for the police. Only arrests, charges, and convictions will be included in the report.

I had a question further on the matter I was wondering If I could get some advise and/or information. My fiance got into some trouble about 8-8 1/2 yrs ago. for selling a dime bag to a undercover officer. Something he would have never done (sell drugs) if we were not in the hard situation we were in at the time. He was approached earlier by some ppl in the hotel we were staying at to see if he wanted to buy some weed from them. he told them no. later that night to undercover officers pulled up next to us outside our hotel room asking if he knew where to get some weed. He thought since he knew some ppl at that hotel had some he could get it from them and make some money. as we had none and no food for over a week. He's heart was in the right place but not his mind. I begged him not to I had a feeling it was a set up. so he did. he along with the other two guys that he got the weed from went to jail and then was released that same night. a few weeks go by and some family of mine offered to move us in with them in Tennessee so we can get on our feet. so moved. unaware they would be issuing a bench warrant. We found out about the warrant (for failure to appear) about a month and half almost two months later. We been in Tennessee already and had no idea there was even a court date for him to miss. He's been pulled over several times they called Michigan to see if they wanted him expedited but they say no every time. He's even called the police in the city it happened (sterling heights) and told them he didnt know about it and gave them our address and asked if they were coming down here to get him they said no. told him to come up there and take care of it. He's about to go for a promotion at work now and their going to run a background check. I saw from your above comment that since he was never convicted that it will not show, and I know there is no statute of limitations on warrants. but is there statute of limitations on what he had the warrant for? If he were to go to Mi. get pulled over or even just turn him self in to take of the issue. what could he be looking at to happen?

Mr. Lapres is correct, but Mr. Simkins is correct in noting that the record exists, and could come into play if you apply to work in law enforcement, prision system, etc. You really should get that warrant cleared up. You can call the court and see exactly what the issue is. If it is far away, a local attorney can be hired to find a resolution for you that might not involved having to return to the county where the warrant was issued. Warrants seem to live forever, and can trip you up at the most inconvenient times.

We do not have a client/attorney relationship until you make an appointment, we discuss your case face to face, I accept a retainer, and we explictly agree to enter into representation.