Skip to main content

Will a legal permanent resident be placed in removal proceedings for having registered to vote?

Charlotte, NC |

I'm a permanent resident and I mistakenly registered to vote during federal elections last year at my school when a volunteer persuaded me to. I did not vote. When I found out it was a crime a few days ago, I called the county and they removed me from the polls. The voter registration card from the county states that I checked the "Are you a US citizen question". But I had no idea I did that because I didn't read the form when I signed it. If I apply for citizenship and state this and get denied, will I be placed in removal proceedings? I have a clean record, not even a parking ticket, came here at age 15 with my parents through lottery and now I'm twenty years old. My fear is not getting denied but being placed in removal proceedings.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 9


No removal proceedings, but will affect your citizenship. You will need a lawyer.

Free Consultation Anywhere in USA | 626-399-4194 | |



Thank you for being concise and for answering my question. Most of the other attorneys only suggested consulting with an attorney but they did not respond to my question. I contacted the first attorney and she advised me not to apply for citizenship because I will be placed in removal proceedings. Then I contacted another one and she said with a very high level of certainty that there will be no removal proceedings but it could affect citizenship. So I did not know who to trust. I thought I would get more direct "Yes" or "No" answers here but most people were vague and only suggested that I contact an attorney. Thank you, again.


You have a serious problem. I would consult with an attorney before you naturalize in the future.


This could be a huge problem.

Get a copy of your registration card and the computer print-out (or whatever record they have) of you 'un-registering'.

Talk to a lawyer ... immediately. No amount of being 'good' over-rides a false claim to US citizenship.

There are a few, very few, loopholes to this horribly strict law.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- -- -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.


I am sorry you find yourself in this predicament, which unfortunately can have serious consequences for citizenship purposes. I urge you to consult with an immigration attorney fast. Please visit

Good luck.

The information contained on this page is for educational and informative purpose only. This response does not constitute legal advice. The readers of this information should not act based solely based on information contained herein. Answers can only be general, as specific responses can only be provided with full knowledge of case facts.


You absolutely need to contact an immigration attorney who can advise you of the potential consequences of a filing a naturalization application in these circumstances.


Most definitely. Retain a counsel.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional opinion, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and opinions stated above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual or legal circumstances related to one's current legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a comprehensive legal before making an educated decision about your particular legal issue. If you have further inquiries you may contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 102, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602


This is not something you should attempt to do on your own - there may be serious legal consequences and not worth the risk. You will need to retain an experienced immigration attorney.

Angelique Montes, Esq., Immigration Attorney in Houston, Texas. 832-378-7781. This is not legal advice and a client-attorney relationship is not created. The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case. For a consultation call (832) 378-7781.


Contact an experience attorney. The question will be" to apply" or "not to apply".


Yes this may result in a serious issue for you. Retain legal assistance and obtain certified copies of your registration and withdrawal of the registration.

Robert Brown LLC
2530 Meridian Parkway, Suite 3050
Durham, NC 27713

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer