Skip to main content

Will a judge deny my permit to travel outside the country for my wedding?

Valley Stream, NY |

I received a DUI last year and I'm on probation. I've received travel permits to travel for work around the US. Me and my fiancé are hoping to be married over seas where most of our families lives. My probation was suppose to end in March because of good behavior, but now my PO told me I have another year. What are the chances a judge would deny my foreign travel for my wedding? do I need a lawyer to make the process easier? What type of lawyer would I be looking if I went that route? I would be very crushed If I took this away from my fiancé...

Thank you in advance.

The PO said my travel is ok with him, but I would need a judges approval. As for my probation being extended, my breathalyzer showed a reading, I called tech support at they helped me get my car running, said its a low reading and its probably from my cologne. My PO said I'm responsible for maintaining my device and knowing what I can have around it...terrible.

Attorney Answers 5

  1. You should first ask permission from probation. If they say no, either your original attorney or a new attorney will have to make a motion before the judge. If the wedding is at a location where most of the family resides, and that can be proved, the judge might allow it.

  2. First, you should ask your Probation Officer for permission to travel outside your usual restrictions. Second, you ask the Judge if your PO says no. If you need to ask the Judge, I suggest you retain a criminal defense lwyer to make a motion. Don't wait until the last minute. It is hard to know how a particular Judge will react. You have to assume the Probation Department will oppose. A judge could say get married in New York. I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years.

    Eric Rothstein
    11 Park Place, Suite 1801
    New York, New York 10007
    Phone: 212-385-8015
    Web site:
    Free consultations by phone or in person

    I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 385-8015 or via email at The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

  3. I think you have an excellent chance for your probation officer or the Judge to grant your request.
    The only area of concern is why it was suppose to end in March for good behavior and was extended.

    The answer given does not imply that an attorney-client relationship has been established and your best course of action is to have legal representation in this matter.

  4. You have to ask the PO.
    They ask the judge.
    If they don't and just say no, you need a local criminal attorney to make the motion to allow you to travel to the judge.
    It is likely to be granted in the end but it might be a fight to get there.
    It also has to be concrete and not just speculative.
    Good Luck and Congrats.

    Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
    Immediate Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association 11'-12'
    Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
    1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
    Garden City, NY 11530
    516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)

    I am a criminal defense attorney practicing in Nassau, Suffolk and New York City. The above information is not a substitution for a meeting whereas all potential legal issues can be discussed.

  5. I agree with all my colleges have said above.
    You could ask your new PO (your wife) to drive.

    This is not legal advice. If order to give you legal advice i would need to see the Tickets and talk to the court first. Good luck:)

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics