Will a Gaurdian ad Litem contact a close family member of the CP for information/back-up in regards to child's best interest?

Asked over 1 year ago - Columbus, OH

NCP is respectfully asking the GAL to contact a family member of the CP for information in regards to child's best interest and change in circumstances prior to making their recommendation . But the GAL seems hesitant on following through with request. (Family member to be contacted has assisted in the upbringing of the child and feels NCP is the more stable parent at this time)

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Benjamin J Partee

    Contributor Level 8


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The GAL may contact the family member. A GAL is permitted to speak to most anyone regarding a child, and will generally speak with lots of people. However, if you feel that the GAL isn't doing his/her job, it's critical that you hire an attorney to make sure your rights are protected and effectively represented, and to ensure that the GAL's report is as complete as possible. Good luck!

    Benjamin J. Partee
    Attorney at Law
    6 W. Main St.
    Chillicothe, OH 45601
    (740) 772-1222

    The responses of Attorney Benjamin Partee to any questions posed on Avvo do NOT establish an Attorney-Client... more
  2. David Scott Heier

    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If you, or your attorney, believe that someone has relevant information that the court should hear before a custody decision is made, you simply subpoena the relative to court to give testimony at the trial.

    Contact David Heier at 614-429-4411 for office or phone consultation. Fees apply. This answer is for general... more
  3. Christopher Joseph Tamms

    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . While the GAL should contact that person if you feel that strongly about it, they don't have to. Your remedy is to subpoena them and have them show up at court to testify in the final hearing.

    This answer is provided for general purposes only. If you need legal assistance you should consult with an... more
  4. Christopher Lee Beck


    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . The Guardian Ad Litem may contact whomever they deem appropriate. They do not have to contact the person but may.

    If you like this answer follow Beck Law Office, L.L.C. on facebook

    Attorney Chris Beck
    Beck Law Office, L.L.C.
    Beavercreek, Ohio
    (937)510-6110 phone

    The responses of Attorney Chris Beck to any questions posed on Avvo do NOT establish an Attorney-client... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,784 answers this week

2,800 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,784 answers this week

2,800 attorneys answering