Skip to main content

Will a felony marijuana drug trafficking charge that was convicted as possession but sealed show up on a background check?

Cleveland, OH |

I got charged for a felony drug trafficking charge when I was 18 and I am 20 now and plan to apply to medical school soon and I was wondering how the drug conviction would look when dealing with background checks for residency/jobs/school. Will they see the felony charge? Can I leave it out in applications and possibly, if it is sealed, ignore saying that it was even a drug conviction and say it was an open container or something? Will they know details about the case? Help would be much appreciated

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Most likely yes the conviction and charge would show up on a background check for medical school and the medical board. Most employers in non-medical fields would not be able to see this but medical field is able to get around the sealing. You would also be required to disclose this on your application to the medial board.

Attorney Chris Beck
Beck Law Office, L.L.C.
Beavercreek, Ohio 45434
(937)510-6110 phone
(937)867-4111 fax

The responses of Attorney Chris Beck to any questions posed on Avvo do NOT establish an Attorney-client relationship. Attorney Beck is available for private hire and consultation for a fee. Only after Attorney Beck is retained as counsel, or agrees to discuss this matter with you privately, shall he be legally deemed to be your Attorney. His responses herein are an attempt to assist persons temporarily based upon the very extremely limited amount of information provided by the questioner


It will likely show up. Certain licensing authorities are able to get around the expungment/sealing standard and the medical board is one such authority. You will most likely also have to disclose it to them as you apply, though I am not sure. The best route would be to call the board and ask if you need to disclose sealed convictions. They would be able to answer this the best way for you.

Chase Carter
6 W. Main
Chillicothe Ohio
740 634 3110

Answers given by Chase R. Carter, partner at Carter and George LLC do not constitute legal advice. Answers given do not constitute legal advice and any person having a legal question should contact counsel immediately. Mr. Carter is a private attorney that is available for hire after first consulting with Mr. Carter and negotiating a fee arrangement and signing an engagement letter. Mr. Carter is able to be contacted by visiting his firm's website at or calling 740 634 3110. No legal relationship and/or legal representation is established by answering questions on Avvo. Answers given are for purely educational purpose. No information given is protected by attorney client privilege and any person asking such questions is strongly encouraged to contact legal counsel before pursuing any legal matter.


Odds are they will. You must have plead to a misdemeanor then if you have it sealed already. If not already sealed, you must wait three years from the date of the final termination of your case i.e. probation (if it was a felony conviction).

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer