Will a DUI affect my job offer?

Asked about 1 year ago - Princeton, NJ

I'm graduating college in a week and have a job lined up after. I just got a DUI. I live in jersey and the cop said its only considered a traffic violation here. Will this effect my offer? Assuming that I don't get it removed when I try to fight it in court.

Edit: The job has nothing to do with driving.

1. Allan E Richardson

7

Answered . There's no way to answer this question based on the facts you present. There is no law banning the employment of someone with a DUI, just as there is no law requiring it. This is strictly a policy matter for your prospective employer. If you have not hired an experienced criminal attorney, do so ASAP. Good luck.

2. Yolanda Navarrete

Pro

6

Answered . It all depends on the job and whether they check for traffic violations such as this.

3. Mark M Cheser

Pro

6

Answered . In NJ, until you are convicted, there is nothing on your record. If convicted it is not a criminal offense and does not appear on your CCH or a normal background check. It is on your abstract and some placed check there now as well. It depends on the job whether a conviction bothers them. If the app. Asked for major traffic offenses they wanted to know about DWI.

4. Michael J Palumbo

Pro

6

Answered . Never believe that the cops says. Yes this will effect your life and job prospecting. You need zealous advocacy, as there is no plea bargaining DWI in NJ and it's either roll over or roll the dice. If you want a referral on a great NJ DWI lawyer contact us.

5. John J. Carney

Pro

3

Answered . It will effect your job situation and you need a great DWI lawyer. Call me for a referral to some of the better lawyers who are reasonable with fees in your area.
    John J. Carney Esq. 917 696 2363

6. Steven W. Hernandez

1

Answered . If you have recieved an employee handbook, you should look in there for an reporting requirements. Also, if your job offer is contingent on a clean MV record, then it could affect you. However, my gut instinct says it will not affect you. You should ask your lawyer. If he or she cannot answer this question with a same or similar answer, then maybe you need a new lawyer.

One or more answers have been taken down.