Will a DUI affect my job offer?

Princeton, NJ |

I'm graduating college in a week and have a job lined up after. I just got a DUI. I live in jersey and the cop said its only considered a traffic violation here. Will this effect my offer? Assuming that I don't get it removed when I try to fight it in court.

Edit: The job has nothing to do with driving.

It all depends on the job and whether they check for traffic violations such as this.

973-984-0800. Please be advised my answers to questions does not constitute legal advise and you should not rely on it, due to the fact that we have never met, I have not been aprised of the facts in you case nor have I reviewed any documents.

There's no way to answer this question based on the facts you present. There is no law banning the employment of someone with a DUI, just as there is no law requiring it. This is strictly a policy matter for your prospective employer. If you have not hired an experienced criminal attorney, do so ASAP. Good luck.

A response to a question posted on Avvo is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. It is informational only. Allan E. Richardson, Esq. arichardson@employmentlaw-nj.com Richardson, Galella & Austermuhl 142 Emerson ST., Woodbury, NJ 08096 856-579-7045.

James P Brady

James P Brady

If you are convicted, there is no way to remove it from your driver's abstract. That IS the permanent record that they speak about in school.

Never believe that the cops says. Yes this will effect your life and job prospecting. You need zealous advocacy, as there is no plea bargaining DWI in NJ and it's either roll over or roll the dice. If you want a referral on a great NJ DWI lawyer contact us.

Michael J Palumbo

Michael J Palumbo

It makes no sense to plead guilty to the charge because you have nothing to lose, and everything to gain, if you fight it. If you are found guilty after trial that is the same as pleading guilty. At least if you take the case to trial you have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

In NJ, until you are convicted, there is nothing on your record. If convicted it is not a criminal offense and does not appear on your CCH or a normal background check. It is on your abstract and some placed check there now as well. It depends on the job whether a conviction bothers them. If the app. Asked for major traffic offenses they wanted to know about DWI.

It will effect your job situation and you need a great DWI lawyer. Call me for a referral to some of the better lawyers who are reasonable with fees in your area.
John J. Carney Esq. 917 696 2363

If you have recieved an employee handbook, you should look in there for an reporting requirements. Also, if your job offer is contingent on a clean MV record, then it could affect you. However, my gut instinct says it will not affect you. You should ask your lawyer. If he or she cannot answer this question with a same or similar answer, then maybe you need a new lawyer.