Will a dismissed shoplifting charge have an effect my F-1 visa renewal?

Asked 7 months ago - Los Angeles, CA

Hi.. I have been caught shoplifting about two years ago, got arrested, been to court and pleaded no contest.. I was placed in a diversion program which I completed successfully and given probation period.. Later on I have been to court again and got my case dismissed. My only concern and question is; I am wondering if this could affect my F-1 visa renewal (getting it denied) when I go back home for vacation? I have traveled back and forth several times after the incident but never applied for a visa renewal. P.S.: This is the only offense I have on my record. Thanks a lot.

1. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

2

Answered . Hire yourself a good immigration lawyer to plead the one time "petty theft exception" and you will dramatically increase the chances for your visa being renewed .You will not solve your problem by posting the same question over and over here. You will need to disclose the arrest, diversion, etc., etc.

2. Floyd J. Fernandez

1

Answered . As Mr. Behar said, there are no options for not disclosing the existence of the offense. It is a conviction, and "dismissing" (expunging) the conviction does no good at all in the minds of USCIS & ICE. A dismissal for merely administrative reasons does not change the affirmative finding, through your plea, that you committed the misdemeanor theft. And as a theft, if you don't get a lawyer to claim the first-time offense exception to the act, it could result in your F-1 renewal being denied, and you being given possibly permanent ineligibility for any future immigration visa.

3. F. J. Capriotti III

Answered . No contest and diversion CAN BE A PROBLEM.

Ask your foreign student adviser to give you a name of one of the immigration lawyers that helps students at your school.