Will a DD214 show a court martial?

Asked over 1 year ago - Gulfport, MS

If I plead guilty to a Special Court martial in 2001 in Alaska. I was reduced in grade from E-5 to E-3 and received 90 days hard labor without confinement. I was able to remain on active duty for the remainder of my time and have served without any issues since. I am retiring from active duty in March 2014 after 20 years of service and am wondering if my DD214 will show that SPCM conviction? Also, will it show an Honorable Discharge?

1. William Emil Cassara

Pro

3

Answered . Your DD 214 will not reflect your court-martial and will show an Honorable Discharge. Congratulations on your retirement and thank you for your service.

2. John Daniel Hafemann

1

Answered . Your DD214 will not reflect your Special Court-Martial conviction.

3. Kelvin P. Green

1

Answered . I will interject here that just because it doesn't appear on the 214, it is still reported as a conviction when asked.

4. Stephen P. Kelly

1

Answered . I concur with my colleagues. You will receive an honorable discharge and your SPCM conviction will not be reflected on your DD214. That said, it may be reflected in the National Criminal Information System maintained by the FBI and will likely turn up in the event of a thorough background check. Congratulations on your retirement!