Will a Congressional Inquiry Help? And do you need more details?

Asked over 2 years ago - Memphis, TN

2001 I required a spinal fusion on c4-c5 in which I have never had any limitations. 2010 I enlisted into the Army Reserve and deemed fit to serve with of course supporting documents. December 2011 I was selected for a Direct Commission. I went to the same MEPS from when I first enlisted and knew all the doctors except one. When I was doing the duck walk, he came from behind me, saw the scar on my neck and checked the boxes saying that I was unfit and placed a three in my Pulhes. The doctor then said that it was a formality issue and placed a stamp on my physical that read "waiver recommended. " My paperwork was sent to HRC and they in turn sent me a rejection letter citing that under 2-29 I was unfit. I went through coc and now I am going through Congress. Will this help?

1. Chuck R. Pardue

Pro

3

Answered . The 2-29 annotation to your physical is from AR 40-501, Chapter 2, which contains the physical standards for initial entry on active duty. Did the spinal surgery occur on active duty? Whether they accept the waiver is discretionary.

I recommend that you have a civilian board certified neurosurgeon check you out to verify no physical limitations of your cervical spine and if favorable send the report to HRC and request reconsideration. Other physician favorable reports would also be helpful. It may also depend on the physical requirements of the branch (Infantry etc) in which you applied for a direct commission. Good luck.

2. Rixon Charles Rafter III

1

Answered . Agree with Attorney Pardue, but note the key phrase is 'discretionary', the waiver is up to the service branch. I don't see the congressional office helping much unless your family are BIG donors to the congressman.