Will a class b misdemeanor for theft show in a background check before going to court?

Asked about 1 year ago - Edinburg, TX

I got arrested like a month ago for shoplifting at Sears. It was my first time and the stupidest mistake ever. I want to get a job now but I want to know if this will already appear when they run a background check on me since I haven't yet gone to court. Some people say no and others tell me it will. I really don't wish to spend my time filling applications out when most employers will turn me down as soon as they run a background check on me. Please help!!!

P.S. I'm thinking of applying in retail or in a small insurance company. I have banking experience but I really don't think this will not show on their type of background check.

1. Macy Michelle Jaggers

Pro

3

Answered . Yes. As soon as you are arrested, you have a record. The case will remain on your record forever, even if it is dismissed, until you have it expunged or sealed. Which one of these, if either, is an option will depend on the disposition of your case. You need to hire an experienced defense attorney to get you back to a clean record.

2. Shawn H. Smith

Pro

3

Answered . It will show up on your record as an arrest. Depending on the level of theft you are being charged with (class b,c, etc...) the outcome of the case will determine what options you have for hiding this charge from potential employers. Take this very seriously. While the immediate punishment may not seem like a big deal, if you handle it incorrectly you may be stuck with this on your record for good, and that would be a huge black mark against you in your job search. Speak to some local attorneys to get some advice on what to do. Good luck.

3. Frances Jean Moss Sullivan

2

Answered . You need an attorney to help you keep this charge off your record. Even if the case is dismissed, the arrest record will exist unless it is expunged. The sooner you contact an attorney, the better.