Will a car accident before my speeding ticket court date affect my chance for a deferral?

Tacoma, WA |

About two to three months ago, I got a speeding ticket for going 5 over and i requested a mitigated hearing, hoping to get a deferral for a first ticket. The court date is scheduled several days from today and I just got in car accident yesterday. I was found at fault but hope to request another mitigated hearing for that also. Will the car accident affect my chances for a referral? Thank you.

Instead of paying fines and having your insurance rates go up by having tickets on your record I would recommend saving your deferral and hiring an attorney to contest the tickets for you and keep them off your record. This will often times save you money in the long run.

Thanks,
Brad Barshis
253-852-6600

Thank you for your timely reply, I really appreciate it. I already requested a mitigated hearing for it several months ago and sent in the citation paper. Is it too late for me to contest the hearing because I checked a mitation hearing. Also, my hearing I believe is tomorrow. Is it too late to hire an attorney for the hearing? Sorry for the numerous questions.

Bradley G Barshis

Bradley G Barshis

It is not too late I would need to notify the court first thing tomorrow of the change to a contested hearing and continue the hearing date so that we can get everything needed to fight your tickets.

I agree with my esteemed colleague. Fighting the ticket with an attorney is likely to get you a better resolution than just using a deferred finding and mitigating the accident.

No, the accident will have no effect on your ability to get a deferral.

Thank you. Do you think it would be in my best interest to request a contested hearing for a speeding ticket? Or would that require further consultation?

Vitaliy Kertchen

Vitaliy Kertchen

If you're going to request a contested hearing, you'll need to hire a lawyer. Contested tickets are virtually not winnable on your own. In the long run, you're probably better spending the money on a lawyer so that your insurance rates don't go up. But, I don't know what your short term financial situation is, so act accordingly.

I understand. I don't know if you will be able to answer, but for a small speeding ticket (where I was only going 5 over), what cost should i be expecting when hiring a lawyer when doing a contested hearing?

Vitaliy Kertchen

Vitaliy Kertchen

Couple hundred bucks.

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I will take everything said into consideration. And most likely hire a traffic attorney.

I, too, would suggest that you contact a local traffic ticket attorney.