Will a "do not consent" form or affidavit of truth hold up in court in family court?

Asked over 1 year ago - Lakewood, CO

I've been told that constitutional law prohibits the government from interfering with personal matters (custody case). And that it is a violation of my natural and unalienable rights and that I do not have consent to the court taking jurisdiction over my personal family matters.

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Karl J Geil

    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If you are referring to the group of people who call themselves "sovereign citizens" and believe they can simply "opt out" of various federal and state laws, then someone is selling you a bill of goods. If you take that approach, the case will move forward without your participation, and you will likely lose the ability to spend time with your children.

    The 10th Amendment to U.S. Constitution leaves matters of family law, including child custody matters, to the states, because Congress was not empowered by Article I, Section 8, to legislate in those areas.

    www.karlgeil.com. This answer is provided as general information about a legal issue, is not legal advice... more
  2. Daniel Nelson Deasy

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Can you clarify? What is a "do not consent" affidavit?

    In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship.... more
  3. Matthew Thomas Majeski


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I don't understand either what you're referring to.

    Disclaimer: This email message in no way creates an attorney client relationship between Majeski Law, LLC and the... more
  4. Rixon Charles Rafter III

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Sounds like you believe you can put an end to the courts jurisdiction over you by some act or affirmation. You cannot.

    NOT LEGAL ADVICE. FOR EDUCATION AND INFORMATION ONLY. Mr. Rafter is licensed to practice in the Commonwealth of... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,368 answers this week

3,224 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,368 answers this week

3,224 attorneys answering