Will a "Disorderly Person" (shoplifting) show up on a background check?

Asked 9 months ago - Livingston, NJ

I'd also like to ask if anyone knows how a Public Defenders office decides if a person is eligible. Do I have to "show" stuff, like copies of checking/savings account? I ask because I am unemployed. A friend - just over the past year - helped me out with some money. But this is the money I live on. If I say a lesser amount in my account, is someone going to check?

1. James Alexander Abate

Pro

9

Answered . It will show up on a back ground check.

2. Jason T Komninos

8

Answered . When you go to court and indicate that you would like the public defender, you will be given an application to fill out. Then the judge will review it with you and determine if you are eligible. You may be charged up to $200 for the application fee.

3. Kristy L. Bruce

Pro

8

Answered . Yes it will show up on a back ground check. At court, you will complete an application and attest to you financial situation. A judge will then determine if you are eligible.

4. Mark M Cheser

8

Answered . It will show on a background check. The Judge decides who gets a PD. They may ask for documents but normally do not. They can check but put you under oath. So there could be problem.

5. Deepali Meenu Walters

6

Answered . Don't lie on an application for a court-appointed lawyer. It's a crime, and it's a crappy thing to do.

6. Christopher Lee Benevento

4

Answered . A disorderly Persons offense will show up on a background check. In New jersey we do not classify crimes between misdemeanors and felonies as many states do. We classify them between "crimes" and "disorderly persons" offenses. Now you may want to consider that if you are ever asked on a job application if you have ever been arrested for a "crime." The tough thing you should know about Shoplifting is there are Plea Guidelines that prosecutors have to follow and there are special rules about offering a plea deal for a Shoplifting offense. You should contact an attorney for a free consultation. And DON'T lie on any forms you are filling out for court. They may or may not check, but if they do you will be adding more problems to your predicament.

7. Jeffrey Anthony Skiendziul

2

Answered . You have to be economically eligible to qualify for the public defender and pay up to $200 application fee. That is a determination made by the judge. Show proof of unemployment if requested. Have it ready to go when you are scheduled to appear in Court.

As to the background check, a conviction does show up on a background check, including a conviction of shoplifting.