Will 1st DWI affect me to apply H1B visa in the US?

Asked over 1 year ago - Katy, TX

I am currently OPT. I have a Master degree in the U.S. I got arrested in Texas. I am planning to be part of the DIVERT program. I work for Oil & Gas industry.

Attorney answers (5)

  1. Carl Michael Shusterman


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . A DUI is not considered a crime of the moral turpitude. Therefore, it should not affect your ability to obtain an H-1B visa.

    Please click the link below for additional information.

    Carl Shusterman, Esq.
    Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
    Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
    Subscribe to our Free Immigration Newsletter
    600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
    Los Angeles, CA 90017
    (213) 394-4554 x0
    Web: www.shusterman.com (English)
    www.inmigracion-abogado.com (Spanish)

    (213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration... more
  2. Gen Kimura

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . I agree with my colleagues. Your DWI probably do no affect your employer's H1B petition. If you have to apply for a H1B visa at a U.S. Consulate, you should do so after you successfully complete the program.

    This answer is of a general nature and should not be relied upon as final, nor is it intended as legal advice.... more
  3. Isaul Verdin

    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . It probably will not affect the H-1B petition but may cause problems during visa stamping overseas. Best of luck.

    Verdin Law Firm, LLC
    Dallas, TX


  4. Mary Carmen Remigio Madrid-Crost


    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . No, it will not adversely impact your H-1B chances.

    Madrid Crost Law Group - (888) 466-4478; e-mail: mc@madridcrost.com; skype: usvisalaw 10 S. La Salle Street,... more
  5. Thomas Esparza Jr.


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Yes, it very well could. go see adan vega or bruce coane both immigration specialists in houston.

    The advice that I give in each answer or legal is not intended to take the place of an in person consultation. A... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,228 answers this week

2,699 attorneys answering

Legal Dictionary

Don't speak legalese? We define thousands of terms in plain English.

Browse our legal dictionary