Wil these obligations help my boyfriend NOT go to jail? If so, how and if not, why not? & What will help us?

Asked 9 months ago - Frederick, MD

I'm 16 years old, and my boyfriend is 21. When I was 14 yeas of age I got pregnant by him (he was 19 years old), and CPS plus The Sheriffs Department droppend our "case." (I lied about my age dramatically, end of story.) Well, our daughter is 1 and a half years old now. We plan to get married with my parants consent before I give birth. Will this help us, or make it worse? Is there anything I should know or look for? Yes, I understand the statuatory rape and everthing as we went through the proces before they dropped our "case." The sex was consentual in everyway. Please ask any questions to get a better understanding!!

1. Stephen Patrick Shepard

Pro

3

Answered . Please use discretion with what you post on Avvo or any other public forum, as incriminating statements can be used against you by law enforcement. Your question regarding sentencing is very factually specific and technical, and your boyfriend should discuss his concerns privately with an attorney or a public defender. Please keep in mind that many private attorneys offer free consultations and are not as expensive to hire as many folks may believe. If your boyfriend cannot afford to hire a private attorney, then he may apply for representation through the Office of the Public Defender. The Office of the Public Defender requires that one apply at least 10 business days before his or her next court date -- so please do not wait until the last minute. I am sorry that I cannot provide you with more direct guidance, but this simply is not the proper forum to do so.

2. Scott R. Scherr

3

Answered . Charges can be refikled against your boyfriend for statutory rape. Getting married will not affect the possibility that he can be charged again. No one can tell you what will happen. Your boyfriend could consult with an attorney about the situation.

3. William Lawrence Welch III

3

Answered . While the court may consider anything at sentencing, it is unlikely that the court would not impose any jail, because your boyfriend has obligations.

An experienced criminal defense attorney can help you evaluate the prosecution's case, any defenses that you might have, and any plea offer that might be made, so that you can decide whether to go to trial. Consider seeking a confidential consultation.

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

• 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now