Wife's responsibilities on the estate of late husband.

Asked about 2 years ago - New Baltimore, MI

My husband did a loan modification in 2010 with a company that is not the original mortgage company.He passed away 3 months ago. After his death I noticed on the modification papers that I am not listed as a co borrower. I am on the deed of the home. Letters from mortgage company are addressed to the estate of my husband. There is no estate or money left from my husband to pay. Foreclosure letter has arrived due to 4 months behind in payments. I also found out recently that the original mortgage company was sold to modification company. How could they/my husband take my name off the loan? I am I responsible for this debt? Also what happens to the foreclosure when I am on the deed?
Also there is not a copy of the loan on file in the county I live in. Thanks

Attorney answers (3)

  1. James P. Frederick

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with Attorney Pippen. You need to consult with a lawyer and take care of this right away, if you have any hopes of retaining the home. Whether you are on the loan agreement or not is not really relevant. Because the lien attaches to the property, and this is a secured debt, if you do not make payments, the lender can foreclose on the house. If that happens, you will have about six months to vacate the property.

    There may be other options, as Attorney Pippen alluded to, however. You should explore these with a probate/real estate attorney as soon as you can.

    James Frederick

    *** LEGAL DISCLAIMER I am licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan and have offices in Wayne and... more
  2. Joseph Franklin Pippen Jr.


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You would need to meet with an attorney to discuss a strategy to proceed with your situation.
    If you are not on the mortgage(or any mortgage) you are not liable for the debt and possible judgment.
    However-you will be named in the foreclosure lawsuit because you have an interest in the property as your name is on the deed.
    Many attorneys spend a lot of time on foreclosure defense, short sales, and loan modification law.
    You have many opportunities in this stressful time in your life.

    The answer given does not imply that an attorney-client relationship has been established and your best course of... more
  3. Carol A. Morris

    Contributor Level 11

    Answered . I agree with both attorneys here. I do wonder if the lien is valid since they did not include you in the modification loan. I would seek the advice of someone who has done alot of the loan modification/foreclosures issues.

    Re-post your question in the real estate section, you'l get more replies there.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,642 answers this week

3,079 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,642 answers this week

3,079 attorneys answering