Skip to main content

Wife had no insurance on car, in wreck, totaled car

Pleasant Grove, UT |

I have gap insurance . Finance company keeps calling me from different numbers , harassing me . Do I have them go threw gap insurance first ? If I make only half my car payment a month can they still garnish my wages ?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6


You need to speak to your carrier and ask their intentions then consult an attorney.

View my website & give me a call for a FREE consultation if you are a California resident 877-427-2752 or you can email me at I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference


Call your carrier to discuss.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755


Don't fiddle with the financing company as they have rights completely independent of any others in your situation. In other words, you owe them their money reardless of gap insurance, who casued the accident, etc.

Simpy put, pay them.

In the meantime, reach out to the gap insurance carrier and get the two companies in touch with each other. I suspect you only have to make one car payment per months so buckle down, pay it, and get working on communication.

Finally -- yes -- the financing company can come after you if you are not making full payments.

Good luck!

In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship. You are not to rely upon my note above in any way, but insted need to sit down with counsel and share all relevant facts before receiving fully-informed legal advice. If you want to be completely sure of your rights, you must sit down with an experienced criminal defense attorney to be fully aware of your rights.


Contact an attorney and have the attorney try to work out a beneficial arrangement.


I need to contact the insurance carrier and ask what they propose to do here. You should run anything through a lawyer before you agree to or sign off on anything.


Go through gap insurance first? What other insurance could they possibly go to?

No one can garnish anything from you until they first serve you with a complaint, successfully receive a judgment, serve the judgment on you and then they can take steps to garnish wages etc. I suggest you speak with your gap insurance carrier ASAP. Any car which is financed should have collision damage coverage on it, unless you are very wealthy and can take the hit.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer