Wife and I are separated. Do I have the ability to take her to court to get my personal belongings back?

Asked over 1 year ago - West Chester, PA

My wife and I are separated. There are personal belongings of mine at the house that she refuses to give back to me. One of these is a motor vehicle. It's been sitting in the garage now for 2 years. I want it back. Is there a court rule that enables me to 1) force her to give it to me, or 2) make her pay me half of it? Thanks!

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Levi Samuel Wolf


    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The process of going through divorce and equitable distribution is the mechanism to resolve these kinds of economic issues. You should sit down with a family law attorney to discuss your specific situation and the rights and remedies available to you.

  2. Brian Edward Sipe

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Typically one files a motion for that purpose. This requires that a divorce complaint to have been filed.

  3. Randi Joy Silverman

    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . First, you should retain an experienced family law attorney in your area to discuss your options for retrieving your personal property. Often, with the involvement of the attorneys you will be able to work out an agreement for the vehicles to be distributed. If she does not have an attorney or she refuses to be reasonable, you have other options such as court intervention, but a divorce action needs to be filed. In some counties, the Judge will not get involved in these issues so your attorney will be able to advise you accordingly.

    My response is based solely on the limited information contained in the question. It is not meant to substitute... more
  4. Susan J. Vandegrift


    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Yes, there is way to request that the vehicle or other property be given to you. I recommend that you contact a family law attorney to help you.

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,259 answers this week

3,188 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,259 answers this week

3,188 attorneys answering