Wife and I are going to get divorce (TX). She is an alcoholic.

Asked about 1 year ago - Plano, TX

I've finally had enough. I want our 5 and 2 year old with me, until she is sober, becasue she is a danger. The first step in the divorce is the temporary orders hearing. Her own mother and father are willing to testify at the hearing attesting to what I'm claiming, that she is an alcoholic. I'm ok with temporary spousal support for her an apartment etc, and will give her more posession once she proves she is sober, but, as of now, she needs to go, and the kids need to be with a stable parent. since alcoholism is hard to prove, is that enough for me to get the house and custody temporarily? She also has 3 prior DWI's and has been to rehab 3 times, unsuccessfully of course. She was also diagnosed with bipolar 5 months ago.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Eric Stephen Lafleur

    Contributor Level 13

    Answered . No one can guarantee you what will happen in the courtroom, but....if her own parents are willing to come in and testify to her alcoholism, that's pretty powerful evidence. That combined with evidence of three prior DWIs should put you in a pretty good position for getting primary custody, and if you're going to get primary custody, it's pretty likely that the judge will give you exclusive use of the house - to minimize the impact the case has on the kids, if for no other reason.

    Good luck.

  2. Mark Anthony Cohan


    Contributor Level 15

    Answered . I agree with Attorney Lafleur but want to expand upon his answer.

    If her own mother and father are willing to testify, it's powerful evidence. Your own testimony as to how often she drinks, how much she drinks, what she drinks and the effects it has on her will also be useful. You can also ask for alcohol testing (normally it's a swab) in that temporary orders hearing.

    You're also going to want to get certified copies of those DWIs so you can introduce them into court. Even if you testify as to her alcoholism, it's still not going to be a slam dunk until you prove everything up and get it into admissible evidence. If she hires an attorney, you're going to have a tough time on this one even with all this evidence.

    I'd strongly recommend consulting a local attorney. However, if you guys can agree on what's going to happen, you might not even need a hearing.

  3. Kathleen Rolston Robbins

    Contributor Level 13

    Answered . Considering her parents are willing to testify as to her drinking problelm, she has 3 DWIs and has been in rehab 3 times, I think it is likely that the judge will believe she is an alcoholic. It is quite likely that you will be able to stay in the house to minimize disruption for the kids and the kids would stay with you. Her visitation with the children will likely be supervised. Simply being "sober" is not enough for the kids to be placed with her. I have a background in drug and alcohol counseling. It is very common for a person becoming sober to have "slips" every few month. Once she has been sober with no slips for 18 mos to 3 yrs, you might consider allowing the kids to live with mom - or not. There is no reason that the children should not live with the more stable parent.

    I recommend that you consult with an attorney regarding this matter.

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.

Child Support

Child support is the money paid from one parent to another for expenses resulting from the other parent’s custody of a child or children.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,412 answers this week

3,286 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,412 answers this week

3,286 attorneys answering