Widowed Mother-in-law living in Texas wants to remove son from her will by using a deed with life estate; what can she do?

Asked about 2 years ago - San Angelo, TX

Her husband had retained a lawyer and seems to have left a will that would let the son keep most of the property as means of making a living but with the provision that he look after her needs; his own immediate extended family seems to be benefitting quite a bit more while her health deteriorates and she struggles to pay her bills. She is concerned that he will keep her estate without sharing with his sisters so she to wants remove his name.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. David M. Pyke

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . Well, happy Thanksgiving!? Sorry these issues burden you today and I apologize for this necessarily vague answer. The issues here depend on the ownership of the property (was is community or separate) and the terms do the deceased husband's will. The will may purport to give to the son property belonging to the widow, so the will may not be what it seems. But any decent answer requires an understanding of the assets and examination of the will at issue. Please have your mother in law consult with a local attorney.

    There is no legal relationship created or implied by the exchange of message on this website. All statements are... more
  2. James P. Frederick

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with Attorney Pyke. Your MIL should probably see an attorney to determine what her rights are and to see what her options are.

    James Frederick

    *** LEGAL DISCLAIMER I am licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan and have offices in Wayne and... more

Related Topics

Deed to property

A deed is a written document describing a piece of real estate and documenting the transfer of ownership from one person (the grantor) to another (grantee).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,718 answers this week

3,016 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,718 answers this week

3,016 attorneys answering