Widowed mother dies, leaves no will. What is the easiest and least expensive way to get her house in one of her children's name?

Asked about 1 year ago - Houston, TX

My widowed mother passed away in 2008 and left no will. At the time I took care of my brother (now deceased) and sister both with special needs and had no time to look into changing the name on the house she had. I was told that all I needed was an Affidavit of Heirship and that would take care of it, but I want to make sure this is done correctly. I still take care of my sister and my financial situation is not very good, this is the reason I need to know the easiest and least expensive way of getting this done. I do have an older brother who is in agreement with the house being put in my name. The house is in Comal County.

1. Orsen E. Paxton III

Pro

12

Answered . You cannot get to where you want to get. By that, I mean you cannot get sole ownership of the Comal property. When your mother died without a Will and as a widow whatever she owned was inherited by her children, all of them. One of those children died. How his interest passed must also be determined. I don't think affidavits of heirship are going to do any good. You need at least a Determination of Heirship, which is a court proceeding for which you will need a lawyer.

DISCLAIMER: This is not specific legal advice and does not establish an attorney/client relationship.
  2. John Gus Zgourides

8

Answered . Speak to a probate lawyer about a judicial determination of heirship and a limited administration. Hopefully your sister doesn't need a guardianship too.

John Zgourides
    www.zgourides.com

3. James P. Frederick

9

Answered . This is not as simple as you believe it to be. You have siblings who have rights and perhaps nieces and nephews, as well, who you cannot just ignore. If your sister is incapacitated, she may not be able to consent to your having the house, or to sign off on her interest. I would review this with a probate attorney before it gets any more complicated and expensive.

James Frederick

4. Jessica Anne Newill

6

Answered . I agree with the prior answers. Your surviving brother can certainly agree to deed you his interest. However, issues may arise depending on who gets your deceased brother's interest and their willingness to give you their portion and whether your disabled sister has the capacity and willingness to give you hers and whether she is receiving benefits, as any inheritance or gifts could jeopardize benefits she may be receiving.

You need to find an attorney who practices in Comal County to assist you in this matter. Schedule a consultation, most are free, and give all the documents you have regarding the property, death certificates, family information and information on any other assets to the attorney. Feel free to contact my office if I may be of assistance, as I often practice in Comal County.

Good Luck!
    Jessica Newill
    Newill Law Firm

5. Kelly Scott Davis

Pro

6

Answered . And it gets more complicated. I would be concerned about your deceased bother's share of the estate, too, but for a different reason. You say he had "special needs." Was he on Medicaid? If he was, it is possible that the state has a right to recover some or all of his interest. This may need to be addressed. When you are looking for a probate attorney, ask if they do Medicaid recovery work, too.