Skip to main content

Widowed 5 years, am I free to remarry?

Phoenix, AZ |

I live in AZ, fiancee lives in AL,
Do I need paperwork stating I am a widow, like previous husbands death certificate? thank you,

Attorney Answers 3

  1. In Arizona, you are NOT required to show proof of the death of your former spouse as a condition of obtaining a marriage license. You are free to remarry.

    ** This response is provided as general information only and does not constitute legal advice or otherwise establish an attorney-client relationship. **

  2. I agree with Monica, you are free to remarry. Sorry for your loss. Congratulations on finding a new love.

    The above "answer" is for discussion purposes only and is neither intended as legal advice nor to create an attorney-client relationship. An attorney-client relationship is not created until after an in person consultation and I agree in writing to provide representation. I am licensed solely in the state of Arizona. You should consult with a knowledgeable attorney in your jurisdiction.

  3. Yes

    Attorneys on Avvo donate their time and your feedback is appreciated. Be sure to mark the "Best Answer" or Helpful" to your questions.

Divorce topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics