Why would the IRS check my credit report (was checked a month before I filed my tax return).

Asked 10 months ago - Hickory, NC

I owe them money from 2011 taxes but i am in a payment agreement and I pay the payment on time every month.

1. Jeffrey L. Cohen

6

Answered . Revenue Officers in the Collections Division of the IRS often go to great lengths to determine the financial situation of people who owe back taxes. They are smarter than many taxpayers would think. If you are following your installment agreement, you should not worry.

This is not intended to be legal advice, and is general in nature.
  2. Bruce Givner

3

Answered . Mr. Cohen has given you the correct response.

3. Kevin Matthew Sayed

1

Answered . Did the IRS personnel tell you they checked your credit report one month before you filed your taxes? How did you find out the IRS checked the report? It seems odd they would take any action as long as you have remained current and compliant on your payment agreement. Once you enter a payment agreement the IRS generally does not have the power to continue additional collections measures until your period for your current agreement ends (typically two years).

4. Martin Musinguzi

Answered . This, indeed, is quite odd - and apart from the question of how you found out this information (probably by requesting a credit report of yourself) - I think it is safe to imagine that if you owed me money (could be a big chunk of change) i would be interested in your ability to pay me now and in the future hence a credit check. I wouldn't put anything past the IRS especially if you have back taxes. If this persists or affects you in anyway, contact a tax attorney!