Why would the insurance co. wait so long to inform me that I have a claim filed? The statute of limitations expires on 12/01/12.

Asked about 2 years ago - Redlands, CA

I was hit by a vehicle while crossing a street in my neighborhood on 12/01/10. After 1 year of being told by my atty's paralegal/wife that they were "still unable to get the liability information," I suggested filing an SR-100 w/DMV since, they hadn't done that, yet. (My calls were rarely returned & when they did respond to my calls it was thru the mail. After 22 yrs in the same location they moved to another office bldg, and lost my ph #, 3 times.) I left a vm offering to file the report w/DMV myself (assuming it would speed up the process of obtaining the liability info,) and instead of a phone call, I received a letter informing me I was being "discharged." Receiving, a fedex from the insurance co, on 11/27, gives me only 2 days remaining before the statute of limitation expires.

Attorney answers (9)

  1. 13

    Lawyers agree


    Answered . They are not reqd to advise of the statute of limitations if you are represented by counsel. They probably just got notice that the atty was no longer representing you, so they sent the notice now.

    Get to an atty immediately, and file suit on Monday. When the statute expires on a day court is not open, you have to the next court day to file.

  2. 9

    Lawyers agree


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . in dropping a client's file an attorney has the obligation to make sure that client has enough time to protect the statute, allowing sufficient time to find other counsel. Sounds as if your attorney did not do that and thus may be responsible for blowing your statute.

  3. 10

    Lawyers agree


    Answered . If the accident was on 12/1/10, then you need to get a lawsuit filed on Monday or else the statute will expire. Get some help over the weekend and get it ready to file first thing on Monday.

    Also, if you were under 18 years of age at the time of the accident, then you have until your 20th birthday in which to file the lawsuit.

    Marc Lazarus

  4. 10

    Lawyers agree


    Answered . I'm sorry you had a bad experience with a lawyer. Don't let one bad apple spoil the bunch. You can call the disciplinary board of the state bar to report this lawyer, and then retain a legal malpractice attorney to pursue a claim against him.

    Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com
  5. 8

    Lawyers agree


    Answered . If your attorney is a member of the CA bar, then he is subject to the following rule governing withdrawals:

    Rule of Professional Conduct
    Rule 3-700 "Termination of Employment."

    (2) A member shall not withdraw from employment until the member has taken reasonable steps to avoid reasonably foreseeable prejudice to the rights of the client, including giving due notice to the client, allowing time for employment of other counsel, complying with rule 3-700(D), and complying with applicable laws and rules.

    The facts you stated are NOT crystal clear as to WHEN you received the "withdrawal letter" from your attorney's office. If it is ultimately found that it was too close to the two year anniversary date (in my office we like to give no less than 45 days notice), then he violated Rule 3-700(2). However, you cannot rest on a "potential" legal malpractice claim that you may or may not have and simply ignore the statute - especially now that you've sought out and received legal advice telling you that you must file to protect your case. You are now on notice (presumably) and failure to act would be comparative negligence on your part.

    Lastly, you also asked why would the insurance company wait so long to inform you that there is a statute of limitations. The fact that the insurance company wrote to you directly raises a red flag that maybe your attorney in fact withdrew from your representation long ago as insurers generally do not contact known represented plaintiff's directly. See below:

    Unfair Claims Settlement Regulations Section 2695.7(f) states: “Every insurer shall provide written notice of any statute of limitation or other time period requirement upon which the insurer may rely to deny a claim. Such notice shall be given to the claimant not less than sixty (60) days prior to the expiration date; … This subsection shall NOT apply to a claimant represented by counsel on the claim matter.”

    Whatever you do, I agree with the five attorneys before me that you must act to protect the statute of limitations in the appropriate court in a timely manner. Otherwise, you forfeit all your rights to proceed against the responsible party.
    Ricardo Antonio Perez, ONTARIO, CA.

  6. 8

    Lawyers agree


    Answered . You need to find a lawyer in your area tomorrow who can file suit for you on Monday. Do not delay. You might also consider filing a grievance against your old lawyer because it sounds as if he or she acted inappropriately. I am sorry you had a bad experience. Hopefully you find someone to help you tomorrow. Good luck. (Search for a car accident or personal injury attorney in your area right here on AVVO and contact them immediately).

    I am not your lawyer and an answer on AVVO is not intended as legal advice but is provided for general... more
  7. 6

    Lawyers agree


    Answered . The Statute is Not blown until the end of business on Monday.

    The only thing you need to concentrate on is getting a complaint filed with the court on Monday.

    The forms for this are on the judicial council website.

    If you don't have thhe name file against DOES 1-100 (DOE is an unnamed person)


  8. 6

    Lawyers agree



    This answer is provided by Manuel A. Juarez, Esq., aka El Abogado de Accidentes de California: 510-206-4492. It... more
  9. 3

    Lawyers agree


    Answered . You need to file a suit on Monday! I would like to talk to you about this case.
    Good Luck
    Check out my website below and give me a call for a free consultation if you are a California resident 877-427-2752 or you can email me at Michael@Kingofpersonalinjurylaw.com

    www. KingofPersonalInjuryLaw.com

    I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

    Check out my website below and give me a call for a free consultation if you are a California resident 877-427-... more

Related Topics

Personal injury

If you suffer a personal injury as the result of the actions or negligence of another, you may seek financial compensation for physical or emotional damages.

Personal injury lawsuits

Personal injury lawsuits allow an injured person to seek compensation for the injury, either by court decision or through a settlement.

Jared E Everton

Injured at Daycare or Preschool

When a daycare facility or preschool accepts responsibility to care for your child, they must follow through on that obligation. If a child is injured by another child while in the care of... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

33,916 answers this week

3,760 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

33,916 answers this week

3,760 attorneys answering