Why would the county attorney have to be served with legal papers on a civil matter?

Somers, NY |

I am trying to get documents that are sealed in a civil mental health matter and after I petitioned the court they granted me a show of cause hearing but I have to serve the county attorney. I never knew there was one. What does he do??? Why would he have any interest in my civil matter???

1. You likely sued the government and the county attorney represents the government. If you tell us what the case is about, there's more to tell.

2. Most likely because by law the county attorney has to defend the local government agency you filed a lawsuit against.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

3. He represents the County and its Departments and Agencies.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

4. None of us can tell you exactly why because we do not have the papers, but I would bet it is because you are seeking sealed records and the County may have an interest (theoretical or actual) in whether or not the records are sealed.

Civil rights topics