Why would the county attorney 17 yrs after being charged under EJJ in MN now say I cannot own firearms? Been FBI cleared in past

Asked over 1 year ago - Minneapolis, MN

I was 17 years old when charged under EJJ, I believe the first in the state. Now 17 years later the cty attorney says I can't and they made a mistake before or something. I thought as stated in 260B.171 records were only kept till age 28. I was told when I finish probation my record would be cleared. Completed 5 yrs probation in only 9 months, should have been clear. Been buying firearms for 15 years now with no problems or mention. County sheriff just accused me of something I had nothing to do with and seem as if they may be trying to save face. No problems for 17 yrs and now a trumped up charge in another county and this EJJ nonsense. I don't understand how they mess up and now trying to make me look bad. Looking for thoughts or suggestions please, civil rights I feel are being violated

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Christian Ryan Peterson

    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . If you were convicted of a crime of violence as an EJJ, you would be ineligible to possess a firearm under current law (M.S. 624.713). The good news is that you have a lot of possible remedies to this situation. First, you can explore a juvenile expungement or return of your records (which you have already looked into it seems). You can also petition the court for restoration of your firearm rights.

    Give me a call if you want to further discuss your options, 612-223-7286

  2. Andrew M. Leone

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . There is a possibility of petitioning the court to restore your civil rights, which includes your right to possess a firearm. Its a process that involves a lot of paperwork and typically takes about 4 -5 months to complete. You can do this on your own or hire an attorney to assist and represent you.

    I hope you find this information helpful and feel free to contact me if you have any further questions. I wish you the best of luck.

  3. Kenneth Lee LaBore


    Contributor Level 15

    Answered . I would meet with a criminal attorney in person. You can find on one AVVO.

    Good luck.

    AVVO DISCLAIMER I am licensed in Minnesota only and my answers on Avvo assume Minnesota law. The answers I... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,674 answers this week

3,297 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

31,674 answers this week

3,297 attorneys answering