Why would my case not be on the court docket?

Asked over 1 year ago - Appleton, WI

I was about a month ago stopped for an owi. I still am not on the court docket and have recieved nothing in the mail in regards to this. I have treid contacting lawyers and they have told me I need to be on the docket before they can help me. Can you please answer my question? I dont want to miss a date, however how can I do that if they have nothing set for me....

1. J Steven House

Pro

8

Answered . It is not unusual to have nothing showing up on CCAP or the court docket until the initial appearance on first offense OWIs charged by citation. However, a date and time to appear for court is noted towards the top of issued citations. Another scenario where this can happen is when the case is one of suspected impairment by drugs (scheduled, prescription, or OTC) and the district attorney's office is waiting to see blood test results before making a charging decision.

If it's a blood test case, you should receive notice if a charging decision is made. Just make sure that your address is correct your driver's license and that the police obtained the correct address for you.

2. Nicholas C. Zales

6

Answered . Did you receive a citation with a court date on it? I assume you looked at CCAP. If it is your first offense it may be a municipal ordinance violation and those are not always posted.

3. Tajara Dommershausen

Pro

5

Answered . The Outagamie County DA's office is understaffed right now as one of the ADA is moving to Calumet to be the DA (he starts Monday) and another is going into private practice. That combined with holidays makes the charging slow down. Hire an attorney or call the DA's office and find out the court date.

4. Jay K. Nixon

2

Answered . The majority of courts in this state are actually municipal courts who do not maintain any sort of web docket database. Only the Circuit Courts and a very few municipal courts (including the City of Milwaukee) have websites providing this service. You do not say which court your case is in so it is difficult to direct you further. This being said, I agree with Attorney House that it is common for nothing to show up on court websites until after the initial appearance. If you really want help and guidance in this matter, you should hire an attorney. Please remember that I am not your attorney and will not be taking any action on your case, but you are welcome to contact me during business hours at my office in Racine if you still have more questions. Also, please see me on the web at www.jayknixonlaw.com, or, to read 15 years of my prior answers to consumer legal questions arranged by topic, please go to http://www.lawguru.com/answers/search/attorney/.... Answers may contain attorney advertising materials.

5. Jeffrey J. Szczewski

2

Answered . I think you may have answered your own question in one of your comments. If you received a citation with a February court date, then the District Attorney's Office probably isn't in much of a rush to officially file anything. If you cannot find the citation, you still need to know your court date, so I would contact the clerk of courts to find out when you have to appear, assuming they know.