Why would I owe the Trustee after filing for Chapter 7?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Roy, UT

We filed Chapter 7 on November 11, 2012. Our bank accounts had $6ish in them, we had 2 accounts. The trustee said we need to turn over our tax refund, $783, which we expected. He also claims that there was $56 in our accounts the day we filed, there wasn't. He is also asking for "wages earned but not received as of the day you filed". Our attorney did not mention anything about this and now the trustee wants $1870.00. We do not have that.

1. 6

Answered . The Utah bankruptcy trustees have recently started asking for "wages earned but not received as of the day" a person files. Since this is new, many attorneys have not know to mention anything about that. You need to talk with you attorney and see if the trustee will take payments or work some other arrangement. I'm sure your attorney can help you work with the trustee.

The items I discussed above are for information and not to be relied upon. You should talk with an attorney.
  2. 3

Answered . You really need to discuss this with your lawyer. That is who knows about your case, has the documents, and who got paid to handle the case for you.

3. 2

Answered . How much of these assets the trustee can take is partly dependent on the exemptions (protection) you are allowed in Utah.

4. 1

Answered . Discuss with your retained attorney. Property that was not exempted must be turned over to the trustee for disbursement to your creditors.