Why would I have gotten a show cause court appearance & what does it mean?

Asked over 1 year ago - Williamsburg, VA

I was convicted of 1st offense dwi and had to do ASAP, counseling & get interlock. I got interlock and had a failed reading in jan, but feb and mar readings were clean. Why would I have gotten a show cause summons? Will they revoke my probation and make me serve jail time? I was never served with a summons for the court appearance. Found out about it when enrolling in ASAP because they were asking weird questions about my address and restricted license so I checked court website

1. Mark Randolph Matney

Pro

2

Answered . The show cause represents an allegation that you have failed to comply with the court’s order. Compliance with the ignition interlock is part of your ASAP obligation. Since ASAP expects abstinence during its program, triggering the interlock is a violation.
    The court in a show cause hearing can impose any portion of the original sentence that was suspended. The court will consider the seriousness of the violation and your efforts to comply since the offense.
    If ASAP has permitted you to continue to attend classes then you need to be diligent in your participation. If you are no longer permitted to attend ASAP until the court date, then you should pursue AA or other treatment pending court.

2. Jeffrey Cantwell Martin

1

Answered . Mark is right. Feel free to give either of us a call and we can talk you through. We both practice in Williamsburg.

757-969-5197