Why would an insurance company reject (multiple times) certified mail containing the documentation they have requested?

Asked 5 months ago - Long Beach, CA

Infinity Auto Ins., Passenger, Spinal Injury, One year's time has elapse since the accident,

The character limitation will not allow me to go into great depth, but this is the skeletal: Riding in my friend's fully covered vehicle, we were broadsided while traversing an intersection, which she was cited "most at fault". During the impact, I was the recipient of multiple injuries to my right extremities, the worst being a severe injury to my lower back, which prevents me from working now. After receiving treatment at the ER, and further treatment for months by my PCP, Infinity Insurance denied the claim, including lost income, loss of use of my vehicle, etc. One year later, they are offering to cover only the cost of the med bills, and had refused all information or demands sent via Certified Mail, either directly to their offices 16 miles away, or to their Mail Processing Center in Birmingham, AL.

1. Michael Shemtoub

8

Answered . If you have a spinal injury you should definitely hire a lawyer. By not hiring a lawyer you may be playing into the insurance companies hands, hence the rejection of the certified mail. Most of us charge reasonable fees and are willing to speak with you without an upfront payment.

2. Sagar P. Parikh

6

Answered . There is no way to answer your question without knowing the specifics of your situation. However, if you do not have an attorney representing you in this, you should definitely get one as that will make it easier to resolve your case.

3. Maryam Parman

Pro

6

Answered . Please provide more detail. It is highly unusual for an insurance company to reject certified mail. Do you have the correct address?

4. Robert Bruce Kopelson

5

Answered . In addition to consulting an atty for this so you don't get screwed, there is no reqt that you send certified mail.

5. Richard Marc Katz

Pro

5

Answered . You do not state where the incident occurred. If in California there is a 2 year statute of limitations on a personal injury claim against a private person or entity (i.e. non-governmental). If you suffered personal injuries, it my opinion it is a mistake to try and represent yourself unless the "spinal injuries" are very minor. It is possible you are sending the letters to a PO Box versus a street address. Certified mail cannot be left at a "drop" location, someone needs to sign for it.

I suggest you contact a personal injury attorney for a consultation.

6. Armen Michael Tashjian

Pro

5

Answered . Insurance companies have been known to abuse the rights of their customers. I recommend you to speak with a lawyer. Most of us on this site offer free advice. So, there is nothing to lose and a lot to gain by contacting one of us.

Pro

5

Answered . A fact or two would be helpful, but if you sustained a spinal injury, have a local spinal cord injury lawyer investigate.

8. Jeffrey Mark Adams

4

Answered . Probably because you don't have an attorney; among other possibilities