Why would a police officer take a photo of you and then let you go?

During a pull over why would a police officer take a photo of you with his iPhone. He did not charge me with anything and did not give me a ticket.

Miami, FL -

Robert Jason De Groot

Robert Jason De Groot

Criminal Defense Attorney - Deltona, FL

To perhaps look at it while doing a search for people with active warrants, and see if they match. Either that or perhaps some other reason which will remain unknown to us. I would not think too much of that. The chances are very strong that you will not be charged at all. Phew

John Patrick Guidry II

John Patrick Guidry II

Criminal Defense Attorney - Orlando, FL

I've had several cases involving undercover drug stings, whereby the undercover officers don't want to blow their cover--but they do not know the "players" involved--so they radio to a 'patrol unit' to have the car stopped to gather pics and info. If you and your friends/family are not involved in such activities, you have nothing to worry about. But, this is a common tactic of officers that are putting together drug cases. That being said, I've seen several cases where pics are taken but no arrests are ever made, as the police are merely trying to keep track of all of a suspects "known contacts", with full knowledge that these contacts are not engaging in the same criminal activities as the suspect.

Just a thought.

Richard C. Southard

Richard C. Southard

Criminal Defense Attorney - New York, NY

While it doesn't make sense in the context of a speeding ticket, perhaps he needed a photo to put in an identification procedure - i.e. a photo array.

Related Advice