Why would a lawyer serve a BS lawsuit that is clearly outside of the Statutes of limitations?

Asked about 1 year ago - Melbourne, FL

Just curious. A kind lawyer responded to my earlier question regarding a motion for dismissal. However, I am curious why a lawyer would serve a lawsuit that is clearly outside the Statutes of Limitations (SOL)?

This complaint is for Breach of Oral contract and in the complaint they state that the contract was entered into in 2004.

Florida statutes state 4 years SOL for Oral contracts.

My wife's uncle has loads of money and he is trying to screw with us saying that she owe him money and we never agreed to this ever.

All of a sudden out of the blue, he files a lawsuit saying my wife breached and oral contract to pay him money. Therefore, I'm just curious, do some lawyers do whatever their clients want them to do, even though its clearly pointless?

1. Heather Morcroft

1

Answered . There are sanctions available to a defendant if a plaintiff files a frivolous lawsuit. Those sanctions can also require the attorney to pay. Perhaps there is something in the fact pattern that tolled the statute of limitations, which would give the plaintiff extra time to file and make it not clearly pointless.

***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ******
  2. Cristen Heather Messina

1

Answered . I agree with my colleague. A lawyer should not file a lawsuit that he/she knows is clearly beyond the Statute of Limitations. You can file a motion for sanctions for a frivolous lawsuit under Section 57.105 of the Florida Statutes. However, if the lawyer is able to argue that the Statute of Limitations was either tolled or that the case falls under some exception to the rule, the lawsuit is not frivolous and sanctions will not be awarded. Very rarely is anything crystal clear in the law. That being said, the Statute of Limitations has few exceptions, so I would consult with an attorney and do your research because you may be able to recover your attorneys' fees if you prevail on a motion for sanctions. Good luck.

3. Cynthia Ariel Conlin

Answered . Consult with an attorney. Do not underestimate a lawsuit. It may appear to be BS, but it could also land you into a load of debt. Don't try to handle this without an attorney. Good luck!

4. Jeffrey Bruce Gold

Pro

1

Answered . Some lawyers will do whatever their clients ask them to do so long as it is not unethical. You need to keep in mind that a Statute of Limitations is an affirmative defense, and if a defendant does not raise the defense, it is waived. Additionally, if the Defendant does not answer at all and defaults the defense is waived.