Why would a contract for sale of a house have to be approved by a court when there is a power of attorney involved?

Asked over 1 year ago - Columbia, TN

The POA holder is also executor of the estate. The maker of the POA is now deceased. There are several heirs to the estate. Why does the contract for sale of the decedent's house have to be approved by the Tennessee court?

1. Jon Daniel Long

2

1

Best Answer

Answered . As noted by Mr. Zelinger, the POA ceased with death so it is no longer in the picture.

In TN, court approval is required to sell a decedents real property in almost all cases. The exception is if the decedent left a will and that will empowered the executor to sell real property without ourt approval.

The reason the court must approve is to protect beneficiaries and creditors of the estate. They want to make sure the sale is for a fair price (as opposed to an inside sale for way below market value) so the estate can pay its debts and/or other beneficiaries receive a fair share.

2. Steven M Zelinger

Pro

3

Answered . I am not a TN attorney or an expert on TN probate procedures, but I can offer this. The fact that there is or was a POA is irrelevant now that the person has died. It would appear that the sale of the house is an estate matter and therefore a probate matter. One could reasonably guess that the court must approve the sale so that the executor is protected as are the beneficiaries that this is a fair sales price and that the sale of the house will appropriately benefit the estate and therefore the beneficiaries (it is for the protection of both the estate/executor and beneficiaries). I might add that the heavy-handed nature of some state's probate proceedings is the reason why many people are choosing to use revocable living trusts to dispose of their property as these arrangements typically negate the need for a costly probate hearing to approve the actions of the estate representative.

3. Kevin Don Montgomery

Answered . Jon is correct. Unless the will is very specific regarding the sale, authority, etc., the court will have to approve the sale.