Why would a clinic refuse to comply with a subpoena?

White Hall, IL |

I subpoenaed my child's medical records. I provided enough time and the subpoena was issued by the circuit clerk. Clinic manager provided records and signed the certification but is refusing to have the certification notarized and refused to appear at the time requested before the notary I provided. What can I do?

Assuming your subpoena was proper, you will need to ask the court to compel the clinic to comply.

By the very nature of Avvo, you have only provided limited facts and no documentation, therefore, our response to your question is treated only as a hypothetical, and as such it is merely general in nature. You should not rely on this response in taking or forgoing action in your circumstances without discussing this matter with an attorney. If we had the opportunity to ask you sufficient questions and review relevant documents so that we were satisfied we had all of the relevant facts and circumstances, our response might differ significantly. Without the opportunity to ask you questions, and review all relevant documents and memoranda, we are simply unable to provide any form of legal advice. Our response to your question does not create any attorney-client relationship between us, and we are not acting as your attorney. We reserve the right to decline representation in any case. By answering your question, we are under no obligation to answer further questions. There are very specific deadlines for filing a lawsuit, replying to a lawsuit filed against you, or taking other action in order to preserve your legal rights. You should contact an attorney immediately in order to be fully advised of your rights, and so that you are aware of those deadlines. If you fail to act within the required time frame, you might be forever barred from asserting your rights or defending your position. The attorney answering this question is licensed in Illinois and Iowa only.

Unfortunately the record statute (735 ilcs 5/8-2001) does not require certification. Check with a lawyer to see if you really need the records certified and to compel it if required.

But my subpoena required that if they were to comply by mail certificate was to be completed. Does that make a difference?

Does il supreme court rule 214 not apply to medical records?

Why is a notary so important to you? You have no right to designate a specific notary or time for the notary. If the paperwork is certified, that should take the place of a notary, pursuant to Section 1-109 of the Code of Civil Procedure. You got the information you asked for.