Why would a bank still retain a lien on property even after they cancelled a credit card debt?

Saugerties, NY |

The sale of a relative's estate has hit a snag. A lien for credit card debt was discovered when the title search was done. Although the debt was subsequently cancelled, the buyers attorney is saying he is still concerned that there is not a clear title since the bank holding the lien, although having cancelled the debt, will not remove the lien. Why can this be? The buyer is asking for this amount to be taken off the selling price of the property. I don't see what difference this would make regarding the lien. This is a cash deal and not involving obtaining a mortgage from a bank.

If the title company is turning up a lien it is most likely in the form of a judgment. If the debt has been cancelled there should be some paperwork showing that the debt was cancelled and your attorney should be able to prepare a satisfaction of the judgment to be sent to the creditor for signature. If the bank has cancelled the debt they are obligated to remove the lien. Your attorney should be able to get them to sign the satisfaction or possibly settle the lien for some nominal amount. If not, he can bring a bar claim action to declare the lien invalid. The alternative would be to escrow money (usually double the amount of the lien) until the lien is satisfied or until it expires (ten years after filing if it is a judgment).

This e-mail may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete this e-mail and all copies and attachments. If you are not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. IRS Circular 230 Notice: Unless specifically stated otherwise, any tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein. Unless specifically stated otherwise, this communication shall not be deemed to be legal or tax advice, and no attorney-client relationship shall be deemed to have been created.

I contacted the estate attorney to clarify to me what was going on and this is his explanation: "Even though the debt was canceled, the judgment lien was not satisfied of record with the County."

Richard J. Chertock

Richard J. Chertock

That is precisely what I expected. they are obligated to issue a satisfaction. Have your attorney prepare the satisfaction and forward it to the bank for signature. He should be able to convince them to sign with relative ease.

He said that's what he's been trying to do. Why would the bank so reticent on granting a satisfaction when they were willing to cancel the debt on the estate?

Have your lawyer work with the title company to seek a resolution. If the debt was cancelled, then you need proof that the lien was released or satisfied.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or www.mynewyorkcitylawyer.com.

If I were representing the buyer I would also definitely want the lien released or the amount knocked off the price. This is really not a complicated question and it's up to the seller and their lawyer and the title insurer to contact the creditor and get it resolved-- or pay the difference.

No legal representation exists by virtue of this answer. Consult your attorney. Licensed to practice law in Indiana and Illinois. Circular 230 Disclosure: any U.S. tax advice contained in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code, or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any matters addressed herein.

Regardless of whether you're securing a mortgage, a buyer wants to obtain clean title to a property, otherwise they risk issues transferring themselves later on. As my colleague indicates, if I represented the buyer, I would recommend them doing the same thing. As to the reason it remained in place, you'd have to look to the logistics of how the debt was "cancelled". If the creditor failed to vacate the judgment, then the lien will remain in place. Have your attorney work with the title company to find a resolution.

If you find this answer useful, please mark it as "Helpful". Likewise, if you believe it is the most responsive, please mark it as the "Best Answer". The information provided herein is for informational purposes only, and should not be relied upon or construed as legal advice or legal opinion. You should not rely upon the information provided at this site without seeking individual advice from an attorney. No attorney-client relationship can be assumed or created by this post.