Skip to main content

Why wont the GAL bring up any information I gave him about the abuse against me during the marriage or the alcohol problems?

Burlington, WI |

My children currently have a GAL and have only talked to him once other then my oldest son who he talked to twice when my husband took him to the GAL after he threatened him and told him if he didn't lie he would end up getting beat . I showed proof to the GAL about the abuse and my husband was just recently charged with threatening to kill me over the phone and and he just got his 2nd DUI and had one accident were he had alcohol in his system and got in a car accident with the children in the car with him . My husband also evicted me and the children from our home the day I filed for divorce and because of the abuse I just left so he never went through with the eviction . The GAL didn't bring up any abuse in court and recommend shared custody . My husband had 2 attorneys and I don't have one .

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Trying to litigate a case without counsel when your opponent has an attorney is a recipe for failure. The Guardian ad Litem may not believe what you told him...or there may be some other reason - but there's no way to tell without speaking to him.

Under the rules governing the conduct of attorneys in New York it may be necessary to remind you that this answer could be considered attorney advertising.

Mary Katherine Brown

Mary Katherine Brown


Attorney Browde is right, you really must speak with the GAL.


You need your own attorney, Go consult with a local divorce attorney. Did you ask the GAL why yurself? You can always ask the court toremove the GAL and ask for a new one.

IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER "Helpful" or " The Best Answer" YOU CAN THANK ATTORNEY RADDATZ BY MARKING IT SO because Avvo awards the attorney points. MS. RADDATZ is donating her time and talent by answering questions to help those in need of legal information. This is NOT a consultation and in no way creates an attorney-client relationship. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS PERSONALLY CONSULT WITH AN ATTORNEY IN YOUR LOCAL AREA who has specific expertise in the area of law you are asking about.


Your situation screams for assistance of counsel. If you husband has and can afford an attorney for the divorce, you must clearly have one, even if you have to motion and request the court order him to provide funds to obtain. If you have problems, seek information from the clerk of the circuit court on any pro bono or legal assistance programs offered in your county. Good luck.

Get Avvo’s 10-part divorce email series

A weekly guide with tips and legal advice for each stage of the process.

Divorce topics

Recommended articles about Divorce

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer