Why will an attorney not help me fight this battle?

Asked 3 months ago - Saint Louis, MO

My ex and I share physical custody with him having physical address for school. I moved 45 mins or less from where he lives due to me getting married. We can not come to terms on where to send my oldest to high school. He wants to send him to a school 45 mins away from his house making it over a hour from me. I would like to send him to a high school only 20 mins from him and 30 mins from myself with reliable resources for transportation. The kids do not want to change the custody visitations. They are 15 and 13. He says he is looking out for the best interest of the kids but I feel like it is a control issue with him instead. An attorney refused to take my case since I did not live close to the school district but not refusing transportation or disrupting the visitation

Additional information

We also have legal joint custody. He is now threatening to take full custody with me getting every weekend visitation rights.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Kyle William Warner

    Contributor Level 4


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . There are a number of attorneys out there. Just because one did not want to take the case does not mean all attorneys will refuse.

    Typically there needs to be a change of circumstance in order to modify an existing order. The most important issue is how the kids are impacted. Longer or shorter travel times for the parents will not necessarily mean as much as which school is objectively better overall for the children.

    You may contact me at 314-526-1211 or through email, kylewwarnerlaw@gmail.com. This answer does not constitute... more
  2. Marco Antonio Ramirez

    Contributor Level 2


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . The Court will ultimately decide what is in the best interests of the children and that may not be what is in your or the fathers best interests. I would encourage you to seek legal representation so you views and concerns may be expressed. In these types of cases it is very hard to lay an outcome for you because of the nature of each judge. In my experience, judges seldom decide that schooling outside their jurisdiction is best.

  3. Ronald Jay Eisenberg

    Contributor Level 14

    Answered . If you are willing and able to pay an attorney I'm confident that if you keep searching you'll find one. Good luck.

    My comments are general in nature, are not legal advice as to your specific issue, and do not establish an... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,474 answers this week

3,164 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,474 answers this week

3,164 attorneys answering