Why unemployment is taking long to give my husband his benefits? what can we do

Brooklyn, NY |

my husband applied for unemployment in October and he has not receive nothing from them . when he called they keep telling him about that they waiting for immigration to get back to him however he has send proof that he has his working permit and permanent residence . what should we do next ?

1. It could be a delay in the system. Ask to speak to someone about what proof they need.

Jeffrey J. Estrella, Esq.
    www.estrellalawyer.com

The answers posted herein are not legal advice and no attorney-client relationship exists. Call for a free 20 minute consultation! THE ESTRELLA LAW FIRM, P.C. “LEGAL REPRESENTATION AND CONSULTING SERVICES THAT GO THE EXTRA MILE” -- Jeffrey J. Estrella, Esq. Licensed Attorney and Counsellor At Law/Abogado y Licensiado Licensed in New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut The Estrella Law Firm, P.C. 75-20 Astoria Boulevard, Suite 170 Inside The Bulova Corporate Center Jackson Heights, NY 11370 T. (347) 628-2391 F. (718) 672-4728 E. Estrella.Jeffrey@gmail.com www.EstrellaLawyer.com

2. Your husband needs to document his contact with Unemployment. Telephone calls are a waste of time. You will need to Fax a well drafted letter to the Labor Board in Albany, NY. The fax number is on thier website and direct your letter to the head of the agency rather than to "Whom it May Concern." If your husband has is a permanent resident, meaning that he has a Green Card, then there should be no question about his eligibility for benefits barring an employer's protest.

3. Make sure you continue calling in each week to check and to check-in for your benefits.

This answer does not constitute legal advice and you should contact an attorney to confirm or research further any statements made in this answer. Any statements of fact or law I have made in this answer pertain solely to New York State and should not be relied upon in any way in any other jurisdiction. Additionally, we also encourage you to reach out to us via Twitter (https://twitter.com/#!/WhiteRoseMarks) or Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/WhiteRoseMarks) if you have follow up questions as we do not monitor questions after providing an initial answer.