Why the District attorney would call you?

Asked about 2 years ago - Denver, CO

I filed a criminal report last week for DV. The district attorney called me earlier today, and I now have to wait until tomorrow to call back. What are some of the reasons they call you? I thought I was suppose to wait until I received something in the mail? Do they call to discuss the case more? or that they are dismissing it?

1. Christopher Daniel Leroi

Pro

3

Answered . The DA is required to call you under the Victim Bill of Rights because this is a domestic violence case. They could get in trouble if they did not do so. They have to send you a victim impact statement, get your position on the case, find out if you are owed any damages, and discuss possible resolutions of your case. So, you will get notices in the mail of court dates and victim impact statement, but expect regular calls from the DA to tell you the status of the case.

2. Stephen Clark Harkess

Pro

2

Answered . Colorado has a constitutional victim's rights amendment. Crimes which have a specific victim require the D.A. to solicit input prior to making a plea offer or dropping a case. Either way, the D.A. needs to try to talk to you before proceeding. Your wishes are not binding, but the D.A. has to get your input before making decisions.