Why should I file for a years support if there is enough in the estate that has been willed soley to me?

Newnan, GA |

My mother and father had wills drawn up and recorded in 1984, in the state of Georgia. Each of their wills left everything to the surviving spouse. If both spouses died everything was to be split 3 ways between the siblings. Since this time 1 sister has passed away. My father just passes away in Aug. 2012. My mom is the executor and sole heir. Why does she need to file for widows support and why does she need my brother's signature? My mother is working on a new will now!

There are many reasons someone might seek year's support. Those reasons are fact dependent and should be discussed with a lawyer. One might be to avoid probate of the will altogether (which may or may not happen in your case). A biggie is the one year waiver of property taxes on the home. Another is that since year's support comes before most debts, which is the opposite of will probate, that may have an advantage for her. These are things a lawyer needs to review and then it can be decided whether years support will be useful.

The "Year's Support" is a needed step if assets are tied up in probate, and there is a dispute about them that keeps a dependant from being able to survive and pay the bills. If you have sufficient independent income, it isn't so pressing. As my colleague noted, there may be tax considerations.

Good luck to you, though. This is a burden, but you CAN bear it.

The information contained in this electronic communication and any documents or other files attached to and accompanying this transmission may contain information that is legally protected, including legally-privileged attorney-client confidential communications. The information contained in this electronic communication and any attachments thereto are intended only for the express attention of the recipient named above. The authorized recipient so identified is prohibited from disclosing this information to any other party unless expressly permitted to do so by law or regulation. If you are not the intended recipient of this electronic communication, you are hereby notified that any unauthorized use, disclosure, copying, or distribution of this information is strictly prohibited, and may give rise to legal sanctions. If you have received this information in error, please immediately notify Merlinus Monroe at 678-450-9743 and take action for the return or destruction of this communication. The website of Merlinus Goodman Monroe, LLC, and the receipt or use of information contained therein or accessed thereby is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship, nor does the act of sending an email to Merlinus Monroe or soliciting his opinion without a binding Attorney- Client Agreement in place create an attorney-client relationship. Users of this site should not act or refrain from acting based upon information obtained from the website without also seeking professional counsel and legal representation regarding the specific facts and circumstances at issue in their individual case. This user does not accept, nor may this e-mail address be used for, electronic transmission of service of pleadings or process. All pleadings and process must be served physically, by either personal service or by mail delivered to Post Office Box 2686, Gainesville, Georgia 30503.

Wills and estates topics

Recommended articles about Wills and estates